Thursday, December 17, 2015

December 14, 2015

This week where do I begin... Well I made some sweet Tye dye stuff last Monday. That was really fun. Today I'm going downtown with some other elders. Tuesday we had Elder Arnold from the First Quorum of the Seventy come and talk to us. We had a 9 hour meeting with him on Tuesday. His wife, President Ballard, and Sister Ballard also spoke. The meeting was actually really good. Elder Arnold is hardcore. He can just glare straight into your soul and then use his glare to beat your soul to pieces. He would just call people out and ask them questions. It was super scary. We had to read a bunch of stuff in preparation for the meeting and he would ask people questions from what they read so it was a good thing we read it! He basically told us to quit being little children and stop trying to be the center of attention and grow up. He told us to solve our own problems. He told us to be men and women. He was seriously hardcore like I said before. He told us a story about when he was a mission president in South America. There was an earthquake and all the roads, airports, and any other transportation was closed. He had received a revelation that the missionaries should get two weeks worth of food before the earthquake hit so they were all hunkered down at their apartments and at least had food. President Packer called him and told him to get the missionaries out of there. He asked President Packer how if all the roads and transportation are closed. President packer said "get on your knees, pray, and the Lord God will tell you. Goodbye" and he hung up the phone! It was a pretty crazy story.

Then on Friday my district got to go to the temple. It was amazing! The Portland temple is really awesome. Then yesterday we got to take a less active lady and her fiancé to the visitors center which is always an amazing experience. Plus the visitors center sisters are very attractive so that is also a bonus. All the elders want to be zone leader in Lake Oswego so that they can be over all of the visitors center sisters haha. This week was really great as far as missionary work goes. We have five nonmembers at sacrament meeting which is awesome. And we had quite a few less actives, who haven't been in a very long time, come. Also the sacrament meeting was really really good. The bishop had two people come up and share their testimony at the end and both their testimonies I think we're perfect for our investigators. We told that to the bishop and he said "imagine that, a bishop that is inspired..." He is a goofball. We also now have 12 progressing investigators! Some of them are progressing very slowly, but everyone is different and some people just need time. It's hard because as a missionary you just want them to be baptized because you know that it is going to bring them so much joy and peace. I've never seen a sad person at a baptism. I have, however, seen some people with no emotions smiling at baptisms. I'm really happy though because since I got here our progressing investigators have doubled. It has nothing to do with me by the way. It is just awesome how the Lord works. Also we found the other investigator that went missing last week. She came to church, so she wasn't scared off. I think she was just staying with her sister. I'm not sure though.

Brace yourself for this one. I sang with a group of missionaries at a baptism. I'm concerned with my well being. I've only been out a couple months and I'm already singing at baptisms. It's only downhill from here. I told the other missionaries that if my mom saw me singing at a baptism she might lose her lunch. Same thing goes for how many stinking salads I've eaten. I've eaten more salads in the  past two months then I have my whole life. It's ridiculous. Salad is not food. Why would anyone enjoy eating a salad? It doesn't make any sense.

Spiritual thought:
I want you all to look up 3 Nephi 11 in the Book of Mormon. That chapter is the account of Christ coming to the people in the Americas. It is a really good chapter and it fits this time of year when we celebrate the birth of Christ.


Love and miss you all,
Elder Garfield

No comments:

Post a Comment