Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Made it to Portland

October 6, 2015

Hey. normally my pdays are on Mondays, but since I got to the field on Monday I get one today. I am loving the mission field so far. My trainer is awesome and I'm learning a ton. Yesterday I got up at 2:45am or 1:45 Oregon time and didn't get to bed until 10:30 Portland time, so I was awake for 21 hours. It was pretty swell. I had dinner at the bishops house and he is awesome. He is really involved in missionary work. After that we went and visited a member, but they weren't home so we went to our lesson at a members house. We taught the word of wisdom and the investigators Ron and Laurie want to quit smoking and drinking. It was super spiritual and awesome, but the members house we were teaching in was full of beetles. they were flying everywhere and landing on us and the investigators. I was freaking out on the inside, but I remained calm. I hate bugs. Anyway the lesson went great. We visited a couple more people and then we went home I unpacked did a little studying and went to bed. Oregon city is kinda rural and the roads are really steep and curvy. Its pretty weird. There will be a tiny turn off into the trees and then you follow a windy road that could only fit one car at a time and you will find 3 or 4 houses back there. Awesome weather so far. No rain. The rain thing was just a myth apparently. I'm pumped to be out of the mtc and be a real missionary. My trainer is getting sick and losing his voice so I might have to take the lead on the lessons (insert scared face emoji). We are going shopping and made a goal to talk with 5 people before we leave the supermarket. That's going to be tough for me since I don't like talking to people that much haha, but the only way to spread the word is to open your mouth. Portland is the "most godless city in America", but hopefully the missionaries can change that. Everyone I've met so far has been really nice so at least they aren't the meanest city in America. that's all I have to report from the mission field. the last week in the mtc was pretty good too, but it wasn't as good as the one day I've been a real missionary. Just so you all know if you want to send me a package than you have to send it via usps priority mail or I might not get it for a long time because they wont be able to forward it from the mission home. I hope you are all doing great I cant wait to report next week. ill work on getting pictures sent, but I'm not sure how to do it right now. I love you all and miss you all and cant wait to hear from you. I'm sorry if I don't reply to everyone I don't get very much computer time.

love ya,
Elder Garfield

No comments:

Post a Comment